Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I've Got Gas & It's a Good Thing

No, not the kind you get from a refried bean burrito.

The Oaxaca Gas Co. came today and delivered a big tank of gas. The thing looks like scuba gear, and the poor guy who delivered it lugs these things around all day. Off a truck with no lift gate, much less. Into the building up flights of stairs around half a dozen corners. And didn't break a sweat. He helped me light the pilot light on the water heater. And he helped me turn on the gas "stove." That's just a 4-burner gas thing that sits on top of the counter, unattached. Like a fancy hotplate. I can actually heat up a bowl of soup now! Woo-hoo!

And--luxury of luxuries--HOT SHOWERS! I was getting used to the cold shower routine every morning. Bracing, sort of. But THIS morning, I took a nice hot one. Felt terrific. So as you see, in Mexico you learn to be grateful for small things.