Wednesday, June 24, 2009

An American Day

Sometimes you can't get around being an American.

Today was one of those days. This morning, I went to the American library just to hang around and chat with gringos. I find this very satisfying. And then I took the bus out to the modern shopping area, Plaza del Valle. I'm ashamed to say I had lunch at KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN, otherwise known as KFC. Yep, I did it. And I enjoyed every bite of greasy original recipe (here known as "secret recipe"), mashed potatoes and cole slaw. Can't get more American than that. Somehow the chicken didn't taste exactly the U.S. version....I know they're supposed to. One bit of culture shock: as I was seated at my table munching away on a chicken leg, I looked up at the service counter. There in line was a Zapotec woman, dressed in colorful headscarf and traditional Indian costume, holding a baby, and ordering the Colonel's special....make that with a Coke.
I think we get accused of American cultural imperialism for just such things.

And then I walked over to Sam's Club and bought a membership. I don't even have a membership back in the States. But they are the only game in town here in Oaxaca for a number of items you can't find elsewhere. And prescription meds are cheaper at Sam's than at the regular pharmacies in the center of the city.

And now I'm home watching "NBC Evening News" online. In an hour, I'll go up to Pochote Cine-Club (free movie place) to watch an American movie.

While I'm feeling increasing bi-cultural and comfortable LIVING in the middle of Mexican society.....as they say, you can take the boy out of Missouri, but you can't take the Missouri out of the boy. And that's my American Day. Some days you just have to do it that way.