Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Should I Start Building the Ark now?

This is the rainy season in Oaxaca. So, it rains. Duh. Every day (actually every evening). Like clockwork, around 4-6 p.m. the skies open up. Monday we got socked really hard. As we used to call them in Missouri "gully washers." And I got caught up at the gringo library. I had only a small umbrella with which to venture out.

I ran into my upstairs neighbor lady, an Australian, at the library. All SHE had was a hooded rain jacket. So, ever the gentleman, I shared my umbrella and we ventured out together squeezed under its sheltering circumference. We didn't have far to go, just around the corner to a place called 100% Natural, a health-food restaurant. In the 2 blocks, we got SOAKED! But it was worth it. We both had a hot bowl of soup and waited out the rainstorm.

However, when we got back to the building, I found my pretty new apartment FLOODED. Not Katrina-level flooding, mind you, but a couple of inches half-way up the room. The ceiling leaks, water comes in under the gap in the door, and through the window frames. This is not a good thing.

Last night, it rained again. No surprise there. I only had small puddles this time. I sure hope the landlord gets around to fixing the leaks and gaps. A dry apartment in the rainy season is much valued.