Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

For the last couple of days I've been in Guadalajara.
This was a "take two." I was here two years ago, when I stayed with a local family and studied Spanish at a language school. I didn't like Guadalajara then. It seemed way too big, dirty, and uninviting.

Guess what? The city hasn't changed. And (more importantly, I guess) neither have I. I still don't like the place. Right now, they are undergoing major public works, with half the downtown streets and sidewalks torn up. You walk across dirt where sidewalks once were....big gaping holes, trenches waiting for drain pipes, perfect to fall into. Dust blowing everywhere. My eyes and throat stinging. Where I'm staying, it's really dodgey. This hotel is clean and nice but....in the window they put a handwritten sign: Promotion! Rooms for couples, 8 hours, $160 pesos!! Hmmm, does that mean what I think it means?

Anyway, I'm on the road again. I fly this morning out of here to Mexico City and then on to Merida. I plan to go from Merida to Campeche (both on the Yucatan peninsula) within the next couple of days. I was in Merida a year ago, but never got over to Campeche. It's like an untasted chocolate in the box. Forrest Gump was right.