Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Another Day, Another Town

After 11 days in Campeche, boredom set in. It is a neat little town, but I had done everything there was to do. I took a 2.5 hour bus ride, and now I'm in Merida.

I was in Merida (the capital of the state of Yucatan) two years ago. Surprisingly, it was at this same time of year, during Carnival (Mardi Gras) season. Merida has one of the most important Carnival celebrations in all of Mexico. The 3 biggies are Merida, Veracruz, and Mazatlan. So, the city has erected grandstands for viewing parades. There are 6 distinct parades, one each day beginning this Thursday through next Tuesday.

Tomorrow's (Wednesday)celebration isn't a parade but a ceremony in the main square, the burning of "Mr. Bad Attitude" (Mal Humor). I can certainly participate in that, although Mr. Bad Attitude hasn't been around much since retirement!!

I'll be here about a week, then over to Playa del Carmen south of Cancun to visit with my Chicago friends Barb & Ian.