Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Confessions of a Money Launderer

Yep, I did it. I laundered money. A whole pocketful of bills. What's worse, I laundered my cell phone. If you've ever wondered, cell phones don't much like that.

It all started when my long-awaited furniture arrived yesterday (at least part of it did). I was thrilled not to have to eat and sleep on the floor any longer. I helped the delivery guy carry it upstairs. Unfortunately, the pieces were stained and waxed in a reddish finish. Which led to reddish-finished jeans, shirt, and hands. I had the bright idea, "just strip out of the clothes and throw them in some soapy water in the wash sink out back." (see...I'm full of brilliant ideas). So I did.

About half an hour later, I decided to go out and threw on some pants. I began looking for my money clip. Hmmm, not on the dresser. Hmmm, not on the kitchen counter. Hmmm, must be.....in my soaking blue jeans! Right there along with the cell phone (now deceased). Crap!

I think we call these "senior moments."

I went to Chedraui (like a Super Walmart), where I was able to buy the same model phone. They switched out the old (damp) Sim card into the new unit, and I was able to go on my merry way with the same telephone number. I did lose my list of contacts, though. They're all underwater.