Saturday, September 27, 2008

On the First Day, Rod Rested

So this is what retirement feels like.

Friday was my last day at work. Today I feel surprisingly peaceful. It all came about very quickly, although making the decision was certainly tough. It's not easy jumping off the corner of the stage and simply assuming they put a mattress down below.

After years of fantasizing about it, the day is upon me. Strangely, I don't feel too concerned about it. I probably should be a little more nuts about the decision, given that the U.S. economy is in the toilet. It's as if some guy in 1929 heard about the crash of the stock market and decided it was a great day to walk out of his well-paying job.

Make your decisions and never look back.

I hear the little Mother in my right ear, "Rod, what are you thinking? Giving up a good job, right now? Are you crazy?" Well, yes, Mom, if you haven't figured it out after all this time.......

So just why did I leave a government job that paid well with excellent benefits and the opportunity to work on creative projects? Hard to say.
Sometimes you just have to recognize that it's time.

Maybe my father's terminal illness has brought things into sharper focus. Becoming aware that you will soon be the senior generation of the family often is sobering enough.

I wonder if anyone else out there feels the same way?